The aim of the exam is to reflect how well the candidate understands spoken and written form of the language on everyday topics, if the candidate can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information. The main objective is to test the candidate's verbal ability in the foreign language.
The candidate must demonstrate the ability to communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- establish and maintain communication
- greeting sb
- introducing oneself to sb
- expressing thanks
- expressing of asking attention
- personal information exchange
- to locate people, places and things
- identifying and describing people, places and things
- expressing a positive, negative emotions, advantages and comparison
- to formulate, accept or reject offers, suggestions, requests, invitations and permissions
in a time sequence to describe the events:
- provide information on past, current and future events and understand them through dialogue
- provide information on dates, quantities, numbers, prices, weather etc. or understand them through dialogue
ECL oral communication tests TOPICS
1. The individual
- personal particulars
- daily routine
- acquaintances, friends
- classmates/ colleagues
- family members
- family occasions /celebrations
4. Place of living
- furnishing of the living-room /bedroom
- kitchen furniture, gadgets
- the street, the town
- (sharing the housework)
- means of transport
- buying tickets (bus, train, plane)
- travelling documents
- special shops
- clothes shops
- departments in a shopping centre
7. Communication/keeping in contact
- post (letter, postcard)
- telephone / fax
- text messages, e-mails
- restaurant (menu, ordering, paying)
- hotel (booking, paying)
- free time activities
- rainy weather / winter weather / snowing
- at the pediatrician’s
- at the doctor’s
- at the dentist’s
- some common illnesses (flu, cold)
- at the chemist’s
- popular sports
- doing sports
- sport and hobby
- listening to music
- computer games
- the candidate’s favourite pastime
- popular professions
- colleagues / school-friends
- daily routine at home / at work
- Affirmative and negative sentences.
- Interrogative clauses.
- Imperative clauses.
- Adjectives and nouns.
- Agreement of the Possessive pronouns, interrogative pronouns, ordinal numerals with Substantive.
- The Numeral.
- The adverb of time, place, reason and purpose.
- Agreement of the Verbal Predicate with Subject
- A transitive verb (with an object). Direct object in accusative.
- Prepositions (in, onto, from, on, above, under, next to, toward, to).
- Use of coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or).
- Gender Nouns
- Nominative singular and plural nouns endings
- Verb´s personal suffix in the Present Tense
- The past tense.
- Nouns in Accusative singular and plural.
- Adjectives, adjective pronouns and ordinal numerals in Accusative singular and plural.
- The Imperative mood.
Lexis: the basic vocabulary dealing with everyday situations; topics basic vocabulary - family, friends, school, working day, etc., as well as vocabulary related to the communication tasks described in the test (see below).
It is assessed:
standard language proficiency (according to the level), pronunciation, speech rate.
it is concerned with usual everyday communication, several phrases
Oral communication: duration: 20 minutes, points allocated: 25
Form: a conversation between the two candidates
Introduction/ Introductory interview
Guided conversation based on 1-2 topics (see overview of topics in annex)
Attitude based on visual stimuli